Robo calling can be an effective strategy in a fast-moving political campaign. While politicians and staffers are out shaking hands, robo calls can be made automatically using our innovative system.
Here are five tips to boost the quality and performance of your robo calls:
- Put your name and your message up front. The average voter will only listen to an automated call for a few seconds before hanging up. Make sure the candidate’s name and message is provided in those first few seconds, before the person disengages. (For example: “Hi, this Jim Brewer, candidate for Mayor of Jonestown, with an exciting endorsement from Governor Joe Brown …”).
- Be upbeat, informative, brief. Try to keep messages between 30 and 45 seconds, the briefer the better. Be upbeat, positive, and don’t forget to remind voters when to vote.
- Plan early! The vast majority of campaigns make the mistake of putting off discussing, planning, and executing their robo calls until the very last minute. Scripts and phones are often thrown together with little thought or strategy. Buck this bad habit! Be sure to identify who you want to target and what specific message you want to deliver. The ideal robo call planning cycle takes 7–10 days, from coming up with the script and identifying your voter targets, to making and approving the recording. Then and only then are you ready to start your call campaign.
- Pace and Vary Your Calls. If you are doing multiple automated call campaigns, spread them out. Do not run automated call campaigns more than once a day or more than once every few days. Calling too often is annoying. If you do multiple call campaigns within the span of a week, try switching up the audio and the message, or the person recording the audio.
- Seize the Day. Make your calls during the day to leave as many messages on voice mail or answering machines as possible. The vast majority of Americans are not at home during the day, so this is the ideal time to deliver your complete message. Voters can listen to your message at their convenience, and without you interrupting household routines. Robo-call technology can differentiate between a live person and an answering machine. The automated system picks the voice, either from a person or the machine, and relays your message at the appropriate time. No need to worry about leaving partial messages on anyone’s answering machine.